Thursday, February 9, 2012

In defense of knitting when times are tough, part seven

People who don't knit look at us in wonderment, that we can spend so many hours working towards a result we're not even sure of. (Actually, they don't know about the uncertainly: that's our well-kept secret.) They see hours and hours of work, that's all they see, and they don't get it.

What they don't appreciate is the lesson we learn about commitment--the commitment learned from setting goals and working patiently towards their completion. And isn't that skill something we complain about the lack of  in our world?

We complain about those who show little understanding of the motivation it takes to do a job well. We can blame the whole financial mess on a debt crisis precipitated by those who wanted something without putting in the work to achieve it. We understand how teachers suffer in classrooms filled with students so expectant of instant gratification. Even of government, whose wheels are purported to gind slowly, we are impatient for results.

Knitting has a valuable lesson to teach--of choosing a task and working patiently towards its finish . . . again, an essential skill for challenging times.

4 comments:

  1. I think that's very true, knitting makes us stop and think, it gives us the freedom to think, that television doesn't. It gives our creative side room to play. I wonder how long it will be before our children are born without having this ability, and never see it in anyone they know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as long as we teach them to knit--OR they see us knitting and setting that example--they'll be okay? But I must say that my daughter's husband, who is a contractor, bemoans the lack of self-motivated thinking in young workers. It's odd to hear someone so young complaining about a younger generation. I must be getting REALLY old!

      Delete
  2. Yes, the time I spend knitting seems like so many hours to achieve one complete project, but it feels good to decide what I want to knit, to pick the yarn and pattern and work through it to completion. If I'm making something for my grandchildren or other family and friends, I spend time thinking about them while I'm knitting - usually happy memories that make me smile. I will keep my $$ flowing into the economy by purchasing yarn. It's my priority after food and medical bills. And maybe even before food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking for myself, knitting doesn't just provide a garment. In my life knitting has filled a void. It satisfies my vision with colour, it provides challenges which, when overcome, increase my self-confidence, it has taught me about the world of fiber, texture, fashion and the satisfaction of showing my love in a tangible way...to those who appreciate that fact.

    Most of all, it has introduced to me wonderful minds who I would not have otherwise met or become friends with.

    It is time well spent. It changed my life for the better, and if I can influence or cause anyone, child or adult, to knit, I would do it in a heartbeat.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete